By Brenna Robinson
Social media is at it once more, helping us better our lives by linking us with others. Pinterest began as an idea grapevine turned into an organization and planning giant. Countless people have planned weddings, anniversary parties, and baby showers using Pinterest and now we are using the site to attain weight loss goals and live fitter lives. There is even a new diet book on the market The Pinterest Diet: How to Pin Your Way Thin, written by Mitzi Dulan, Registered Dietician. In her book, she suggests using Pinterest to create a vision board of your goals by creating boards such as Most Satisfying Foods, Workout Plans Board, Daily Inspiration Board, In-The-Know, and Favorite Products. Pinterest is the ultimate social media site for planning your healthy life.
Pinterest offers the power to look for recipes, inspirational and motivational quotes, workouts, and merchandise such as exercise clothes as well as the ability to hold all of the ideas organized in a single spot. It is a replacement for the age-old vision board that many of us pinned to our wall to keep ourselves focused on a goal. This site allows you to digitally pin pictures of your dream body or inspirational sayings to keep your actions in check.
Pinterest has something for everyone! Searching for a recipe that is Vegan, Paleo, or Gluten-free? Check out this delicious looking Healthy Chocolate Cake recipe by iFOODreal @http://www.pinterest.com/pin/195273333817500880/
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup almond or any milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Various berries, for decorating
- Cooking spray (I use Misto)
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease the sides and bottom of a springform pan really well with coconut oil, vegan butter or spray with cooking spray. You can use cake pan or square baking dish as well.
- In a medium mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add applesauce, milk, agave and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine.
- In another medium bowl, mix to combine flour, cocoa & baking powders, baking soda and salt. Gently fold into the bowl with wet ingredients from previous step. Do not over mix. You can first gently whisk the batter and then stir with a spatula. A few lumps are fine, the batter won’t be completely smooth. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake for 40-45 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake, a few times in a few spots, comes out clean. A bit of batter at the end of toothpick is fine. Remove cake from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool to room temperature. Do not remove cake from the baking dish.
- To make the ganache, in a small bowl whisk together agave nectar, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Add cocoa powder and whisk again until smooth. Place in the fridge to thicken a bit, for about 20 minutes. You want ganache to be the consistency of melted chocolate.
- Pour ganache over the cake. If using the springform pan, the ganache will “leak” to the sides making nice chocolate covered sides. Refrigerate until the ganache is completely set, about an hour. To ensure easy removal from the springform, let cake warm up on a counter for 20 minutes and go around the perimeter with a thin knife before removing the form. Decorate with your favorite fruits and/or berries on top.
Servings Per Recipe: 10; Amount Per Serving = 1 slice; Calories: 265.8; Total Fat: 13.0 g; Cholesterol: 37.2 mg; Sodium: 211.1 mg; Total Carbs: 37.5 g; Sugars: 17.3 g; Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g; Protein: 5.3 g; WW Points+: 8
or check out this Mashed Cauliflower recipe by Healthy Recipes @http://www.pinterest.com/pin/89016530108918303/.
Total time: 20 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
1 medium cauliflower (1 pound trimmed)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Wash the cauliflower,towel dry, trim outer leaves and cut into florets, or just into chunks. Place in a microwave-safe bowl, add a tablespoon of water to the bottom of the bowl, cover with a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high around 10 minutes, until very tender.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.
3. When the cauliflower is done, carefully remove it from the microwave (bowl and plate will be hot and steam will escape) and transfer to the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients. Process until very smooth, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition per Serving
Calories 102.9; Total Fat 7.5 g; Saturated Fat 4.6 g; Sodium 407.8 mg; Potassium 350.9 mg; Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g; Dietary Fiber 2.8 g; Sugars 0.0 g; Protein 4.4 g
Health and wellness websites are also jumping on the bandwagon. You can follow sites on Pinterest such as POPSUGAR Fitness, Holistic Ebony, and Health.com. Following these sites can lead you to information that you might not otherwise find when searching on your own. You can search and pin exercises from gym routines to 8 minutes at home at routines. There are even exercise routines for the couch potato to follow during the commercials of your favorite television show.
Pinterest is the ultimate social site to connect ideas as well as people. There is no limit to the number of ideas found and once you start searching it can be difficult to stop. Just Remember to put all those newly found ideas to use and start living healthier today.
Dulan, M. (2014, 01 19). How Pinterest can help you lose weight and get fit. Retrieved from Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/01/19/how-pinterest-can-help-lose-weight-and-get-fit/