By Greer Barnes
When you’re a busy mom taking care of everyone else, it can be difficult to find the time to take care of your own stuff, namely a disorganized and overstuffed closet. But thanks to the genius concept of the ten-item wardrobe, you won’t have to struggle in search of the perfect outfit ever again.
Originating in France and introduced to Americans by writer Jennifer L. Scott in her book Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris, the ten-item wardrobe suggests that a woman have no more than ten core pieces in her closet each season. With the help of the right shoes, some unique accessories, and a few other seasonal items to complete the look, those ten pieces are all you’ll ever need to wear, whether you’re leading a discussion at work or taking the kids to baseball practice. Don’t know what pieces to include in your summer wardrobe? Don’t worry. We’ve got you covered.
1. and 2. Two button-downs will be the most versatile pieces in your closet this summer. Pair yours with a skirt and a jacket for work or dress them down with a pair of jeans and flats for a casual family picnic. While one in white always looks crisp and clean, pastels like light blue or baby pink also look great for the summer and will work well with the neutrals in your wardrobe.
3. A pair of classic trousers is an essential. While wool blend pants work well in winter, a lighter fabric like a cotton blend is much more summer friendly. Opt for a tan or navy pant in lieu of black for a fresh look.
4. A summer jacket to wear with your work trousers is a must. Don’t have one or need a new one? When shopping, look for one that nips in at the waist and ends at the top of your hips for the best fit.
5. A flattering skirt looks just as great with a dressy top as it does with a white tee. High-waisted skirts look best on women with long torsos, while an A-line skirt works on just about everyone. Make sure the length hits no shorter than just above the knee so you can wear it worry-free at the office.
6. A pair of denim jeans will be your go-to weekend pant this summer so make sure they fit you well! While skinny jeans have been popular the past few years, 70s-style pants are making a comeback this season. Straight-legged jeans with a slight flair at the bottom will make your legs look long and lean, especially when paired with a cute pair of wedges or classic pumps.
7. A denim jacket is a classic summer staple. Make yours stand out from the crowd by choosing one with embellishments. You can even DIY your own by adding a little on-trend fringe to the back of the one already hanging in your closet. Trés chic!
8. An all-occasion dress is the ultimate symbol of femininity. Pair it with your denim jacket for a grocery store run or with your summer jacket and a statement necklace for an easy office look.
9. Shorts are a must during warm weather season. When choosing a color and fabric, think about your lifestyle. Are you staying at home with the kids this summer? Maybe denim shorts are what you need. Flying a lot this summer? Choose a breathable knit that will wear well as you build up frequent flier miles.
10. A dressy top is last on our list but definitely not the least. Like a button-down shirt, a pretty top will pair well with your jeans, trousers, or skirt. Neutral colors are always nice, but a bold, bright print is especially summery and a great conversation piece.