By: Shira Stein, PishPoshBaby
Spring is here and summer is just around the corner! Kids are tired of being pent up indoors due to cold weather. Getting outdoors and breathing in the fresh air is healthy for you and your kids. There are a myriad of things to do outdoors, whether you are in the city or in the country. If you’re looking for some new ideas to get your family moving outdoors, try these simple, yet fun ideas:
- Kids are fascinated about how things grow. Create a fresh herb garden in a window box. Allow them to help decorate the planter box, fill it with dirt and plant the seeds. Teach them about watering and sunlight to help the plants flourish. Let them be in charge of watching for the spouts to push through the dirt. Incorporate the fresh herbs in your cooking. The kids will be proud to have been a part of the fresh ingredients they helped cultivate.
- Get out and walk through your neighborhood. Point out the different types of plants in your neighbors’ yards. Talk about the types of plants that grow well in your region due to rain, temperature and growing season. If you have bunnies or other wildlife that come through, talk about the types of plants that attract them into populated areas.
- Do outdoor activities as a family. Go for a hike in the mountains or local trails, go fishing in a lake or stream, play games at the park. Staying active and getting fresh air is good for kids and adults alike. If you live near state parks, go on a picture safari. Capture photos of local wildlife and flora and fauna. Make it educational and see how many plants and animals the kids can spot.
- Go geocaching. Get a compass and draw a map. Send the kids on a small scavenger hunt that requires reading a map and a compass. Leave small trinkets for the kids to find along the way. Split the family into two teams headed by Mom and Dad and see who can find all of the items on the treasure hunt list first.
- If you live near lakes or the ocean, go to the beach and build sand castles. See who can build the tallest towers and turrets. Be creative and try to make animal themed sand castles. Kids love to use their hands and get dirty. What could be more fun than getting Mom and Dad dirty too!
Kids enjoy being outdoors and they love having Mom and Dad outdoors playing with them. Being outside provides opportunities for bonding, exercising and education. Choose an event each week that you can share with your kids. You may be surprised at how much you enjoy getting back to the basics.
About Shira Stein and PishPoshBaby:
Shira Stein is the lead Mom Rep at online baby and parenting gear company, PishPoshBaby.com. She drives many of the company’s product selections based on experience, testing and customer feedback. In addition, she provides moms and dads with real world advice about the ups and downs of parenting and helps them navigate this special journey. The dream of PishPoshBaby was born out of a desire to find the more reliable baby products and advice available to real moms just like you. Their high-quality online store supplies facts and advice to parents who are completely lost in the whirlwind of baby gear. Visit their site at www.pishposhbaby.com for more information and follow their blog. You can also “LIKE” them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter @pishposhbaby, Pinterest, and Instagram.