By Daddy Nickell, Founder of Daddy & Co.
I think it’s fair to say that when it comes to babysitters, most kids would rather just have mom and dad stay at home. That is unless you find that rare gem of a babysitter—the one your kids adore, beg to have them come, and can’t wait for you to leave. However, these gems can be hard to find. With years of finding babysitters for my 7 kids, I’ve had my share of finding that modern day Mary Poppins. To help with the search, here are a few key things kids are actually wanting (whether they know it or not) in that perfect babysitter:
1. Fun: Kids always want a fun babysitter! Someone who has creative ideas and a lot of energy is sure to have kids smiling ear-to-ear while they’re doing something productive, yet fun, and that’s exactly what kids want. I won’t lie, as a parent I want that for my kids, too!
2. Understands Boundaries: Most kids won’t just come out and say it, but they crave boundaries. Therefore, they want a babysitter who isn’t afraid to set boundaries and work within the routine already developed within a household.
3. Compassionate: Of course kids want to feel like the person who is taking care of them actually likes them and is happy to spend the day with them. A kind and compassionate babysitter is key.
4. Smart: Kids ask a ton of questions, and they seem to enjoy it when adults have answers to their questions – or at least pretend to have answers. Babysitters should be educated and able to keep up with your child’s questions and curious nature.
5. Safe: Safety is so important, and kids know it, too – on some level. A babysitter should have good judgment and be a quick thinker. Kids want to feel safe whether at home or at the park, so a babysitter should be confident and focused.
Good Luck & Happy Parenting!
Parenting Expert and father of 7, Robert Nickell (aka Daddy Nickell) offers his “5 cents” worth of advice to expectant and new parents. Daddy Nickell is the founder of Daddy & Co., delivery room duds and daddy gifts and apparel for every stage of fatherhood, and the Daily Daddy Blog. He is also the creator and producer of “My Life as a Dad,” the groundbreaking new web series that showcases celebrity fathers offering their personal experiences and parenting tips.