Most families eagerly await the summer travel season as an opportunity to get out and enjoy the warm weather, explore new areas, and spend time together engaging in fun activities. But for families with a new baby, the summer travel season suddenly becomes a lot more complicated. Is it too ambitious to plan a vacation with a baby? What will the travel experience be like? And what to do with all that gear?
But sharing your life with a beautiful new baby doesn’t mean that you need to remain housebound until the toddler years arrive – or that you have to say good-bye to your adventuresome spirit. With the official arrival of summer, the baby care experts at WaterWipes have put together some tips on how new parents can celebrate both their new addition – and the summer season.
- Embark on the Great Grandparent Tour: No one on the planet wants to see the new baby and you – in that order – more than the new grandparents. So planning a trip home, or to see other close relatives, can be a great way to spend a long summer weekend, while ensuring that you’ll have plenty of people willing to lend a hand. Plus, as most grandparents prove to be more than willing babysitters, you may even be able to sneak out for a grown-up dinner or two.
- Keep it Manageable: If you do decide to venture out to a vacation destination – beyond the family visit – try to keep it easy on yourself and your baby. Even for experienced travelers, this may not be the time for an overnight international flight or “roughing it” for two weeks in a rustic cabin. Instead, try for a destination not too far from home and search for accommodations that offer up some flexibility – for example, cooking facilities if you don’t want to eat out at a restaurant every night.
- Stay Cool in the Summer Sun: As much as we enjoy warm weather, it can be tough on everyone’s skin – but especially for a new baby. WaterWipes, the world’s only chemical-free baby wipes, can be comforting on a new baby’s skin during the hot summer months, as they contain only two ingredients: 99.9% water and a tiny droplet of fruit extract. They also can help avoid diaper rash and won’t irritate other sensitive skin conditions such as eczema or psoriasis. Before venturing out on a warm day, toss your pack of WaterWipes in the refrigerator so you can soothe and refresh your baby with a cool wipe during your outing.
- Talk to Other Moms: Experienced Moms can be a great resource when contemplating a vacation with a new baby, so get the scoop from your Mom friends about what works and what doesn’t for your first vacation as a family. From diaper bag essentials to what to bring along on a car trip, Moms-in-the-know can be the difference between a successful trip and one that leaves you longing for the comforts of home.
- Streamline Travel Gear: Between shower gifts and baby presents, new parents now have more baby gear than they ever thought possible. But the thought of bringing it all along on vacation can be enough to deter the most eager traveler. Instead, start streamlining by focusing on the products you use daily. Moreover, cutting down the quantity of what you bring can be another way to lighten the load, as many baby products, such as WaterWipes, come in travel sizes, which can easily be tossed into a travel bag.