Dr. Amy Wechsler Takes you Through your new ABCs
We all learned the alphabet back in pre-school, but did you know there is another that you may want to memorize? Renowned dermatologist and psychologist specializing in the mind-beauty connection, Dr. Amy Wechsler, has reinvented key letters of the alphabet with things you should consider, consume and keep in mind throughout your day, leaving your skin and mood in tip top shape.
- A is for Antioxidants: We all know the importance by now of antioxidants. They play a critical role in protecting skin against free radicals and fighting premature skin aging. Look for skincare products that contain antioxidants to work into your daily routine.
- E is for Exfoliate: Exfoliation is one of the most important steps in a skincare regimen. This process helps to slough away dry and dead skin cells that have adhered themselves to your face or other parts of your body leaving you with brighter looking and smoother feeling skin.
- M is for Moisturizer: I always say the cheapest anti-ager on the market today is a good moisturizer. Dry skin can not only appear dull but also heighten the appearance of fine lines. Be sure to use a good moisturizer daily to help plump skin and maintain its youthful appearance.
- Q is for Quality Time: Spending time reconnecting is critical to reversing signs of stress aging. Hanging out with friends, or cuddling and having sex with a partner releases all kinds of feel-good hormones within the brain that trigger relaxation.
- R is for Retinoids: Retinoids are prescription strength anti-agers than help with skin regeneration. In addition to helping minimize the appearance of sunspots and skin discoloration, they also help improve skin’s elasticity. They also can act as a great acne treatment, reducing the appearance of acne and shrinking pore size. Talk to your doctor about whether these are a good option for you.
- S is for Sleep: Sleep is free cosmetic medicine, plain and simple. Allotting the necessary time needed to catch some zz’s is critical to reducing signs of stress aging, not to mention allowing your body time to recharge and rev up again for the day ahead. There is also a link between sleep and weight gain, so hitting the sack for at least eight hours a night can also help keep you slim and trim.
- U is for UV Protection: Skin cancer is one of the most common forms of cancer today, but when caught early can be treated 99% of the time. Avoid the risk by slathering on sunscreen before heading outside every day. When you are outside, be sure to cover up and seek shade, both of which will minimize your risk.
- Y is for You: Most importantly, be sure to take care of yourself. You have an active role in your health and appearance. For many of us, taking care of our skin helps us to not only look but feel good. Be sure to stay on top of your annual visits to your doctor, and remember there is no question too small.
The new and improved ABCs – a perfect formula for a skin-savvy you.
Bio: A dermatologist practicing in New York City, Dr. Amy Wechsler is board certified in both dermatology and psychiatry. She is the author of the Mind-Beauty Connection: 9 Days to Reverse Stress Aging and Reveal More Youthful, Beautiful Skin. With a philosophy that draws on her unique and diverse experiences, Dr. Wechsler is recognized for being as approachable and progressive as she is professional.